How to start a Window Cleaning business
Put simply, Window cleaning is a numbers game. If you really want to start a profitable window cleaning business, you need to have the numbers. What I mean is, each individual customer will provide such a small amount of income that the only real way to make it work is to have lots of customers close together.
The good thing about that is many people need their windows cleaned and regularly pay a local window cleaner – finding work shouldn’t be too hard but in the beginning make sure you are targeting customers close together. Competition is fierce though and you may not be able to get a condensed round at first.
The more customers you get the better your round will be in terms of travelling between jobs. You don’t want to be travelling miles from house to house but obviously keep in mind that you might not have a choice in the beginning so a simple suggestion would be, DON’T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!
DON’T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB
Like above, If you starting a window cleaning round, it’s not just going to appear overnight. Starting from scratch will mean you have to take whichever jobs you can and these will more than likely be spread out from each other which means the time it takes you to get around to them all you will not be making alot of money per hour.
I would suggest building it up on a weekend. If you manage to build up a solid 1-2 days on a weekend that will be more than enough to quit your job. But you might decide that you’re absolutely raking it in whilst working, in which keep you job and have 2 incomes.
Like any other business, finding customers will always be the hardest part. Word of mouth in window cleaning is a great way to build your business but in the beginning that may just not be fast enough. Heres a few ideas:
- Get some flyers/business cards printed and post them yourself around your area – check out vistaprint
- If your feeling brave, you could knock on doors and introduce yourself and business
- Create a facebook page and share it with everybody on your facebook
- Speak with friends and family for a discounted service to get you going
- Claim your business listing on google using google business
- If your high end, consider a website
- Always check ebay, gumtree etc for window cleaning rounds for sale!
How much will it cost?
Honestly, your can start window cleaning for less than a few hundred pounds going the traditional method. Otherwise if you want to go the water fed pole route, you are really going to want to invest a few thousand in a good filtration system.
Below are some examples to suit your budget.
Traditional window cleaning equipment
Cheap water fed pole backpacks if you don’t have the budget for a larger system
Full water fed pole system EXAMPLE equipment list:
- 1 x 350 Litre Heavy Duty Flat MDPE plastic baffled water tank.
- 1 x 5 stage 300GPD compact Reverse Osmosis system complete with 3 stage pre-filtration and 10 inch membranes.
- 1 x Deionisation Filter complete with top grade Tulsion brand Deionisation Resin
- 1 x Digital Hand Held TDS Meter (more accurate than most inline ones).
- 1 x 100psi Shurflo Pump with Strainer and Fittings for 1/2″ Hose (Assembled).
- 1 x Flowmaster Digital Pump Controller.
Both the Shurflo pump and Flowmaster are pre-mounted on a compact panel and pre-wired together ready to connect to your battery. – All you have to do is mount the panel!
- 1 x Outside Port Panel with Connector – This will allow you to work from the system with the vehicle fully closed and locked!
- 1 x Professional Metal Hose-Reel.
- 1 x 100 metre roll of 8mm ‘Microbore’ Professional Hose.
Hose and Reel are pre-assembled as shown in picture.
- 1 x 17ft XTEL professional 17 foot water fed pole with braided hose.
- 1 x Rectangular Vikan Brush.
- 1 x Adjustable Brush Angle Adaptor.
Pole, brush and angle adaptor all come assembled and ready to work with all required fittings.
- 1 x Tank Outlet Fittings Kit – Includes metal reducer, elbow, valve and fitting to join to 1/2″ hose
- 1 x 5m roll of 1/2″ hose to connect the parts of your system together.
- 1 x Comprehensive installation and operation guide.
Check out the links below for some ideas of window cleaning kits for sale
Become your own boss with a profitable window cleaning van
Feel like the time is right to take charge of your career and work life? become your own boss – do not hesitate!